October 17, 2009

West 24th Street



Photos by Grier Horner - all rights reserved

This photo symbolizes my position in the art world. Outside, looking in. Which I am trying to change. Anyway, those are my sneakers planted on the sidewalk in front of one of the big galleries on West 24th Street Friday.

I got up at 5:15 a.m., which is pretty amazing for someone whose normal wake-up time is 9 or 10. I drove to Wassaic, rode the train to Grand Central, took the S subway to Times Square and the E train from there to Chelsea.

That's pretty mundane. But I'm a novice at subways and riding them is an adventure. Lots of potential photos underground, but I haven't worked up my nerve to point the camera at riders yet.

Back above ground, these women on West 24th look like they're about to be mowed down by a cab or two that have mounted the sidewalk. But they're OK. The cabs were parked.

I scouted out more than a dozen galleries on Friday. And that was just the north side of the street.

It's going to take a lot more trips to Manhattan to cover the Chelsea galleries. Which is fine with me. I love looking at the art and talking with the gallery staffs.

And I'm having a field day shooting in Manhattan.

(Click on the shots to blow them up.)


No comments:

Post a Comment